Monday 6 November 2017

Random Dutch beers (part 52)

Apologies for the long gaps between posts in this series. I generally write them at the weekend and I haven't been home that much recently.

I'm making an effort to tidy up my corner of the living room. The books have pretty well all been moved upstairs to my new library/study room. they aren't quite all arranged as I'd like. But at least they're upstairs.

I also need to tackle the beer pile on the living room floor. There must be a hundred bottles. Including a load of this season's Bokbiers. I really need to taste them. Time to crack one open.


Cornelis Herfstbok, 6.5% ABV
It's a slightly muddy grown colour. That's my fault. I didn't realise it was bottle-conditioned. The aroma is malty caramel. Like treacle toffe, but without the treacle. In the mouth, it's fairly neutral, creamy, with the faintest hint of bitterness at the end. And a touch of metal. It's not horrible, at least. And there are no obvious faults.

"Do you want to try my beer, Dolores?"

"In a minute." She's fiddling with something in the kitchem

"Do you want to try my beer, Andrew?"

"No thank you."

Dolores gives my beer a try. "Mmm, that's OK. Not something I'd choose, but OK."

"Do you want to try my beer, Alexei?"

"No thanks."

I shouldn't have bought all those cans of Grolsch yesterday. No need for them to bother with my stuff.

Time for another Bok. This time from a big Lager brewery.


Bavaria Bokbier, 6.5% ABV
I'll be honest, there are two reasons I bought this beer. I really like the label and it was dirt cheap: 2.75 euros for six 30cl bottles. I'm not usually keen on Bavaria's beers. Slightly caramelly aroma.  Quite sweet in the mouth, but also quite bland. Not as nasty or as ridiculously sweet as I expected.

"Do you want to try my beer, Dolores?"

"It's very sweet, isn't it?"

"I was worried it would be sweeter. It's good for cooking with. It's in the gravy."

1 comment:

InSearchOfKnowledge said...

Thank you for the bock beer reviews. Using your reference of the Amstel bock as a baseline, I was finally able to establish that my own bock (after two seasons brewing them) tastes well. One does not find any German bocks here in Belgium to compare.

Btw. me and my wife tasted the Bavaria after the Amstel, and we both concluded that is not bad, but that the Amstel indeed has that something more that makes it just taste better.